Obesity is one of the most common lifestyle diseases globally. More often than not, it is caused by a lifestyle that has too little activity and/ or too much (often unhealthy and junk) food. BMI (Body Mass Index) is one of the common indicators to check if you are obese. Apart from BMI, your waist size is another significant indicator to determine if you are overweight or obese.
Obesity may give rise to several other health complications like diabetes, hypertension or even a stroke or heart attack. Here are some tips you can follow to avoid becoming obese or even overweight. It’s better than to get started NOW rather than waiting for your weight (and hence BMI) to shoot up before starting!
- Regular Exercise – Do regular exercise, and this holds true not just for preventing obesity but living a healthy life in general. For the uninitiated, you can start with a brisk walk early in the morning. Apart from that you can hit the gym or pursue activities like swimming or outdoor sports!
- Eat nutrient-rich food – Eat nutrient rich food. Ensure that your diet is a balanced one with good amount of proteins, fiber and necessary vitamins & minerals. Avoid consuming mono saturated and trans fat.
- Avoid junk food – Excessive consumption of junk food is one of the biggest reasons for obesity. Apart from causing rise in weight, they also lead to increase in blood cholesterol that can clog arteries. Besides, they don’t provide much nutritional benefits, Hence, it is best to avoid them!
- Avoid crash diets – Avoid crash diets which promise to help you lose 7 kgs in 1 month or something similar. More often than not, they end up doing more harm than good.
- Get regular checkups done. Get tested for all the vital parameters for body like CBC, blood cholesterol, blood sugar, thyroid, calcium, vitamin D etc. Apart from regular checkups, regular monitoring is also essential. You can upload your medical records and lab reports on eKincare – Your Personal Health Manager and keep a track of your health indicators on a continuous basis.