Here’s a South Indian speciality with some great taste. It is extremely nutritious as it contains a variety of dals. The combination of rice with dal makes it a complete protein source for vegetarians. Ideal for breakfasts and as evening snack with lots of vegetables added.
Raw rice,Idly rice – 1 cup each
Channa dal/Kadalai paruppu – 1/2 cup
Toor dal/thuvaram paruppu – 1/4 cup
Urad dal/uluntham paruppu – 1 fist full
Moong dal/paasi paruppu – 1 fist full
Small onions/shallots,chopped – 3/4 cup
Coriander leaves chopped – 4-5 tblsp
curry leaves – 2 sprigs
Asafetida – 1/4 tsp
Red chillies – 15 nos.
Salt – to taste
- Soak rice and dhal separately for 3 hrs minimum or more. First grind the red chillies with salt, asafoetida and then add rice.
- Grind it to a coarse paste (little more finer than ceroti rava). Add dal. Use the pulse,inch or juice option to grind this dals coarsely. Make sure to wipe the sides and lids for even grinding.
- This should be more coarse in texture as shown in the picture. Mix both the ground items well and set aside. You can keep upto 3-4 hours, or even make immediately. But standing time yields better result.
- Just before making adai,add the onions,coriander,curry leaves and mix well.The batter should be thicker than our idly dosa batter. So adjust water as needed.
- Heat the tawa and spread little oil and spread one laddle full of batter as thick adais,make a small hole in the middle and again pour little oil around. Let it get cooked for sometime.Turn over the adai and cook the other side too till golden brown. (you can cook covered with a lid, before flipping )
Hope you enjoy your Adai! Will come back with more such healthy recipes.
Source – http://www.rakskitchen.net/2009/08/adai.html#.dpuf