Potassium, phosphorous and fluid restriction in kidney diseases
Kidney disease places several restrictions on an individual. This can include restrictions on fluid, proteins, potassium, phosphorous etc. The reason for this is that when your kidneys are not functioning properly, waste and fluid build up in your body, and over a period of time, this can cause heart, bone and other health problems too.
POTASSIUM RESTRICTION IN KIDNEY DISEASE:
If one’s kidneys are not working well, the potassium level may become too high or low. This can cause health issues like muscle cramps, weakness and irregular heartbeat. Here are some steps you can take
- Certain fruits and fruit juices may be avoided. Fruits such as guava, papaya, pear, pineapple, apple and oranges are low in potassium and can be consumed freely.
- Avoid drinking tea or coffee
- Avoid drinking coconut water
- Avoid using bajra, corn, nachni, braley and unsieved wheat flour
- Vegetables which contain higher amounts of potassium include Brinjal – vangi, raw papaya, banana flower-kelphool, raw jackfruit, drumstick – shevgyachya shenga), lotus stem, papdi, karela, potato, sweet potato, yam, tapioca and sago, palak, amaranth – lal math, and coriander leaves . These vegetables should be leached properly.
- For leaching- the vegetable should be chopped and boiled in excess water. The water should be discarded. Then the vegetables may be cooked and consumed.
PHOSPHOROUS RESTRICTION IN KIDNEY DISEASE:
If kidneys are not working well, phosphorus can build up in your blood. and this can can lead to weak bones that break easily.
- Avoid food like whole grain bread, bran cereals and oatmeal, nuts etc.
- Include low phosphorous food like corn or rice cereals and cream of wheat, unsalted popcorn, lemonade etc. instead of above mentioned foods.
- Phosphate binder medicines may be prescribed by certain doctors.
FLUID RESTRICTION IN KIDNEY DISEASE
In kidney disease, body cannot get rid of excess fluids easily. Hence, it is important to restrict fluid intake. Here are some steps you can take.
When there is fluid restriction then milk can be substituted by other milk products.
- 3/4th cup milk can be replaced by-
- 1 egg white
- 2 tsp of skimmed milk powder
- Paneer/chenna or curds
- Instead of taking rice, one may consume rice products such as rice flour rotis, roasted rice flour chakli, etc
Stay healthy with eKincare – your personal health manager!