Fresh cases of swine flu are being detected every day in Telangana with 25 of the 68 cases tested as positive very recently. Rising cases are a matter of concern as swine flu is often associated with mortality due to lowered immunity making patients susceptible to secondary infections.
Flu or influenza is often caused by viruses, in this case caused by type A influenza virus manifesting as respiratory disease in pigs. When humans contract the virus from infected pigs or humans, they develop fever, runny nose, sore throat, headache, fatigue, watery eyes, etc eventually lowering immunity and stamina.
- Get timely vaccination – Ensure you get the seasonal flu shots annually that cover all viruses including H1N1
- Sanitation – Maintain good sanitation at home and outside. Wash hands thoroughly before and after eating and using washrooms
- Stay indoors when sick – When you are sick /ill with poor immunity, avoid going outside especially in crowded places
- Cover mouth and nose while coughing and sneezing – Covering up prevents spread of viruses
- Stay safe – Stay away from infected person or as a caregiver exercise enough hygiene and sanitation.
Taking preventive steps is important especially when virus is spreading so fast. Keep yourself and your family safe by following the above tips.