Lunch time at work is the most anticipated hour of the work day mainly because we have not eaten anything post breakfast and we are starving!!! Also, lunch time provides a break from work and chance to move away from the desk and meet colleagues for a light banter and giggles.
But, we all admit that making a packed lunch interesting is a huge challenge and no matter effort is put into making it that lunch sitting in the box since morning (cooked in the morning) seems quite pale and unappetizing
Here at 8 tips to improve lunch experience :
- Avoid carrying food with too many simple carbs: When you do get really hungry, the first thing that comes to your mind is sweet. Carrying sweets in the lunch box may help to douse that bout of hunger but is not going to provide long lasting energy. Look for foods with complex carbohydrates or basically the high fiber carbohydrates such as brown rice, quinoa, oats, boiled beans, steamed sprouts, raw vegetables, green leafy vegetables, etc
- Ensure optimum proteins: Good quality proteins in your lunch box will translate into good productivity and heightened alertness. High quality proteins come from eggs, chicken , fish , etc for non vegetarians. The vegetarian group need not fret as there are several options available for them too e.g. tofu, paneer, sprouts, beans , soy granules/ nuggets, quinoa, etc
- Carry sweet fruit or dried fruit: Carry a sweet fruit such as small banana, apple, oranges, watermelon, papaya, pineapple, mango , dry dates, figs, apricots, etc to satisfy the sweet craving. You may choose to eat these at the beginning of the meal; although we suggest that these should be eaten mid morning ( before lunch) .
- Chew thoroughly : Trivial as it sounds, taking time to chew your food slowly and thoroughly will ensure that you feel full as well as enjoy the lunch. Taking 15 minutes to complete the lunch is important. Complete morsel in the mouth before taking the next bite; rushing through the lunch is counterproductive both physiologically as well as psychologically.
- Invest in a good quality lunch box: A good lunch box that is leak proof and keeps food warm goes a long way in making lunch more interesting . Choose a fairly big box with 3 smaller boxes or compartments such that we can see different colours and textures in the box
- Take time to plan the lunch the previous night such that pre preparations can be done
- Carry clean cutlery to consume lunch
- Eat lunch at another place with friends
Keeping the above tips in mind can surely help make you feel energized as well as refreshed after lunch. Lunch must be such that it recharges you for the second half of the day