Chia seeds can absorb plenty of water and swell. This hydration of the seed will help in improving absorption and utilization of its nutrients. At the same time, these soaked seeds imbibe water and provide bulk to the food with which it is consumed improving the satiety value of the meal.
Benefits of soaking chia seeds
- The nutrients from soaked chia seeds are better absorbed than just raw
- Soaked chia seeds are the ready soluble fiber source that can enhance cholesterol binding (to prevent them from getting absorbed) and also
- Upon soaking, chia seeds provide bulk to the food in the stomach preventing spike in blood sugars by slowing down absorption
- Maintain hydration for longer time, especially during exercise
How to soak chia seeds
- Chia seeds can be mixed with water (abt 1tbsp in 200ml water). Leave it overnight.Consume next day
- If you want to use chia seeds for longer time, you can use a glass bottle. In a glass bottle, take 2 tbsp of chia seeds and add 2 glasses of water, shake well for 2 minutes and then keep it inverted in the refrigerator. In the fridge it will stay good for 2-3 days.
- For instant use, mix chia seeds with water rigorously for 5 minutes in a glass jar and then let the mixture sit for 5-10 minutes to obtain a good gel-like consistency.
Where to use soaked chia seeds
Pudding: 3 tbsp of chia seeds can be added to 1 cup of almond or coconut milk ,mix well, and refrigerate overnight.
Fruit spread: Adding 1 tablespoon of chia seeds to 1 cup of your favourite seasonal mashed fruit makes a nice chutney to be used as a side dish at breakfast or spread for chapattis.
Enhanced breads- Adding powdered chia seeds to your regular flour for making Indian flatbreads such as Chapatti, roti, etc can improve their nutritional value
Substitute for eggs – Chia seeds provide thickening and bulking effect and can be used for all baked products as a replacement for egg.
Garnish – If you have been forgetting to soak chia seeds, it is also possible to simply sprinkle a tsp onto your salad to obtain a crunchy texture!
No matter how you consume these seeds, eat it anyways. Make chia seeds a part of your daily diet today!