Obesity is one of the condition which increases the risk of developing diseases like heart disease, diabetes etc. There are many ways like body mass index, lean body mass, waist to hip ratio, body adiposity index to describe obesity but the common method used by professionals to calculate is Body Mass Index(BMI) and it is categorized as Underweight: Your BMI is less than 18.5, Normal weight: Your BMI is 18.5 to 24.9, Overweight: Your BMI is 25 to 29.9, Obese: Your BMI is 30 or higher.
More you eat, more you must workout, otherwise the additional calories will be deposited as fat.
- Eating high fat and calorie containing processed foods.
- Lack of exercise or burning less calories compared to intake.
- Sedentary life which is almost inactive lifestyle. This may also be seen in some bedridden patients.
- People spending time in video games, mobile phones, TV which decreases the physical activity leading to accumulation of fat and weight gain.
- Lack of good sleep also make you feel hungry which can cause obesity.
- A person’s weight during childhood, the teenage years, and early adulthood may also influence the development of adult obesity.
- Pregnancy is one more condition in which there will be more weight gain and after delivery for some people its difficult to lose that weight.
- Polycyctic ovarian disease is a condition in which because of hormonal imbalance there will be weight gain.
- Hypothyroidism is a type of thyroid disorder in which certain hormones are not produced in desired amount which can lead to weight gain.
- Even some problems like osteoarthritis can lead to weight gain as one can’t walk much due to pain.
- Drinking high amounts of alcohol also lead to weight gain and obesity.
- Stress can also lead to weight gain so it’s better to do some stress reducing activities and exercises.
- Certain medicines, including some corticosteroids, medications for epilepsy and diabetes, and some medications used to treat mental illness including antidepressants and medicines for schizophrenia can contribute to weight gain.
By doing regular exercises, eating healthy food and treating underlying cause one can maintain their weight and be healthy.