Obesity has been declared as the rising epidemic and one of the most dangerous states of health. The role of diet and exercise has been promoted a lot now days.
However, if we consider practicality, it is diet that is to be given the first priority when it comes to weight loss or maintenance of weight.
It is very much stressed that we should all eat healthier and that we should exercise every day and that diet and exercise go hand in hand in weight management issues but in today’s busy world, we are all constrained by a finite amount of resources such as time, energy, willpower, and money.
Therefore it is a wise and research supported advice to give the more attention to the diet that we take. With many of us, exercise such as going to gym, swimming or exercise at home comes as a phase when we are serious and passes off with the same speed due to our hectic lifestyle whereas , taking meals is consistent.
Paying attention to what we eat on a daily basis and planning meals with good devotion will likely make our weight loss/ weight maintenance more successful.
Exercise has numerous health benefits when done with proper guidance and with consistency. And there is no combination better than diet and exercise for weight control but it is important to understand that all the exercise in the world won’t help you lose weight if your nutrition is imbalanced or unhealthy.
Here are a few tips that will help you-
- Never set short term goals for weight loss that force you to incorporate fad diets for rapid “weight loss”- it is on long term “Fat Loosing” healthy diet that needs focus.
- Things like drastic weight loss programs/crash diets not only slow down your metabolism but do more harm than good because they also deprive you of vital nutrients – avoid them.
- Doing less exercise consistently is better than doing more intermittently- make small changes to your daily life here and there such as- take stairs to work place rather than lift, park your cars in far spots, plan for outings that require you to spend energy rather than eat outs.
- Spending 2-3 minutes a day with a food diary is likely to have a bigger impact on your weight than 30 minutes a day in the gym – Once you plan for better meals, weight loss will no more be difficult.
- Find the weak spots in your lifestyle and try to eliminate them like if you drink alcohol taper it down, if you consume sugary beverages or drinks reduce it or find natural alternative to the sweet craving.
- Find healthy alternatives to the style of cooking for your favourite dishes- bake instead of deep frying , use low fat / whole grain substitutes.
- Educate your-self on eating at proper times.
- Educate your-self on portion control, calorie counting and healthy snacking.
- Select eat outs that promote healthy eating.
- In parties or gatherings, fill your plates majorly with salads and fruits.
A famous saying goes “Prevention is better than cure” Similarly, paying attention to, our diet is the best prevention against obesity.
Dr. Afroze Fatima