Crash diets are ones which are not to be followed and avoided because of its dangerous side effects.
These diet plans involve drastically cutting back on the amount of calories and fat that you take in on a daily basis. Similar to a starvation diet, a crash diet is often paired with other weight loss fixes, including extreme exercise routines and the use of diuretics or diet pills.
It is true that one can lose some pounds after starting a crash diet but it does not work in a long run. Your body won’t receive the vital nutrients needed which causes both short-term and long-term health effects. It involves drastically cutting back on the amount of calories and fat that you take in on a daily basis. Similar to a starvation diet, a crash diet is often paired with other weight loss fixes, including extreme exercise routines and the use of diuretics or diet pills. People may see reduction in the fat in their body but there is accumulation of fat around heart which take place simultaneously during this crash dieting.
- Can disturb mental and emotional health. People on crash diet often experience extreme food cravings, depression and irritation.
- Can lead to serious nutritional deficiencies like iron deficiency, vitamin B12 deficiency, potassium and sodium deficiency. Among these, potassium and sodium deficiencies are more dangerous and they can affect your heart leading to a heart attack if the levels are very low.
- Crash diets are extremely dangerous for your vital organs, including your heart, kidneys, liver, and brain. If your calorie intake becomes low enough, your body will even begin to burn the muscle tissue to provide your brain with sufficient energy to function. This can result in serious health problems, including:liver failure, kidney failure, heart attack, stroke.
- Crash diet also leads to calcium deficiency which can damage your bones in a long run making them fragile. This condition is known as osteoporosis.
- Most of the people do crash dieting for good looks. But crash dieting can cause severe damage to your skin and hair as well which makes your skin look dull and you can experience hair loss.
- If you are a diabetic then it is more important for you to avoid these crash diets as this may cause severe hypoglycemia and organ damage.
So, it is not advisable to do crash dieting. It is always advisable to lose weight in a healthy way.