One of the biggest problem among all generations both in men and women is hair loss. It affects most of the people sometime in their lives. It is normal to shed 50-100 hairs in a day. If your hair loss is more than that, then you need to get evaluated further to know the exact cause. There are two types of hair loss, temporary and permanent. Most of the time temporary hair loss can be controlled by taking immediate action.
Most common causes for hair loss:
- Hereditary: It is the most common cause of hair loss among all. Hair thats already lost can’t regrow, but by taking appropriate steps one can prevent further loss of their hair.
- Anemia: If your hemoglobin is less than normal, then you may have hair loss. But by taking medication and good diet which improves your hemoglobin, hair fall can be prevented. For example if iron deficiency is the cause for your anemia, then iron replacement is the remedy.
- Anesthesia and Surgery : Typical physical stressors leading to temporary hair loss include undergoing anesthesia, surgery or having a high fever. Once the physical stress comes down, you may notice regrowth of hair without any treatment.
- After childbirth: Due to hormonal changes it is common to have hair loss post delivery. This can be reversed once the hormonal imbalance settles down.
- Emotional stress: When the stress levels are high, a hormone called cortisol is elevated. This will affect hair growth cycle resulting in hair fall.
- Medications: In most cases, medications lead to temporary hair loss, and your hair will grow back once you stop taking the medication.
Chemotherapy: People taking chemotherapy are prone for hair loss during treatment which is temporary as it affects the growth cycle of the hair. After completing the treatment regimen, your hair should grow back once the drugs are cleared from your body.
- Hypothyroidism: Hypothyroidism affects men and women, and it is one of the most common causes of temporary hair loss in men. When hypothyroidism is successfully treated, the hair loss should reverse.
- Styling products: Regular straightening, coloring, blow drying and perming should be avoided as these commonly cause hair loss. It’s better to avoid them and use natural products.
- Pollution: With exposure to pollution, dust, heat and humidity it is imperative that you take steps to protect that mane.
- Dandruff: If left untreated,your scalp will become itchy and inflamed which can cause temporary hair loss.
How to prevent hair fall:
- Healthy and balanced diet which includes fresh fruits, vegetables, protein rich diet and plenty of water is important for not only your hair but also your skin.
- Lack of iron weakens your hair right from the root and causes it to fall. Ensure you eat spinach, soybeans, dal, red kidney beans, chicken, meat, eggs and fish for iron intake.
- Hair fall is a sign of lack of vitamins in your body. Increase intake of vitamin C rich food along with other vitamins which are good for your hair and face.
- Treating the cause is very important. If hypothyroidism is the cause for your hair loss, it is advisable to take medication accordingly after consulting an endocrinologist which will decrease your hair fall.
- If your hair loss is stress related, there will be temporary damage to your hair follicles. Managing your stress by doing stress related exercises and taking good care of your health could result in normal rate of growth of hair.
- Tie your hair up, when you go out and cover the head with a scarf could keep away from such unhealthy exposure
- If your hair loss is due to side effects of any medications, consulting your doctor who prescribed you those medicine and discussing about your problem is important.
- Regular washing with anti dandruff shampoo is helpful along with anti fungal medication, if you are suffering with dandruff after consulting a dermatologist.
- Stress relieving exercises and activities will reduce your daily stress which is responsible for hair loss if your stress is more than usual.
- If hereditary is the cause there is nothing much we can do to regrow the lost hair but by following the above tips can reduce and prevent your hair fall.