Oral health and heart health are very closely related. Prolonged untreated oral issues can affect cardiovascular system. Bacteria associated with gum disease can enter the bloodstream causing various effects in the heart. Poor oral health has been listed as a possible cause of heart disease.
There are no proven results about prevention of heart disease by good oral health but as there is increased chance of heart disease because of poor oral health, it is important to maintain good oral health. Periodontal disease is a common condition in which there is destruction of the tooth supporting structures because of bacterial infection. Studies suggest that many patients with cardiovascular disease have dental problems yet they lack awareness of the importance of oral Health and its potential impact on cardiovascular outcomes.It is important to practice good oral hygiene in order to keep your gums healthy.
Tips for good oral health:
- It is essential to practice good oral hygiene in order to keep your gums healthy.
- Regular flossing is important for good oral health.
- Brushing twice daily without missing also plays an important role.
- Dental checkup with the dentist every 6 months is a best way to maintain good oral health.
- Healthy diet and regular exercise are important for both cardiovascular health and overall health.
- Replacing toothbrush every 3 months or when the bristles are spoiled is important.
- Cessation of smoking is important to prevent staining of tooth and other problems caused by it.