You can do a lot to take care of your health and still over the time the body ages in ways which you can’t control. One of the conditions that affects men at older age is benign prostatic Hypertrophy.
It is a common condition where in there is enlargement of the prostate leading to urinary symptoms, such as blocking of urinary flow from bladder leading to bladder distension.
- Frequent or urgent need to urinate
- Bladder distension
- Difficulty in urinating
- Dribbling at the end of urination
- Unable to completely empty the bladder
- Urinary tract infection
- Blood in urine
- Aging: by the age of 60 years most of the men suffer from symptoms and signs of BPH.
- Family history: there is high chances of you getting the condition, if your father or brother is has suffered from BPH
- Lifestyle: obese people are more prone to BPH
- Medications: studies show that use of beta blockers may increase the size of the prostate.
Doctor would first ask you about detailed personal and familial history . Then based on the signs and symptoms would suggest below test:
- Digital rectal examination: doctor examines by inserting the finger in the rectum to check for prostate enlargement.
- Urine test: to rule out the urinary tract infection and other conditions which may cause such symptoms
- Prostate Specific Antigen: it is produced by prostate and the levels are increased in case of enlargement
- Ultrasound test: to check the size of the prostate and to look whether it’s healthy.
Depends on the severity and age of the patient
Doctor may prescribe medications to relax your prostate and bladder muscles. In few cases medications are used to reduce the size of prostate.
Minimally invasive procedures: such as TUIP, TUMT, TUNA, and TURP.
Most common is TURP- Transurethral resection of prostate, where in a scope is inserted into urethra and the prostate is removed with the help of scope. It quickly relieves the symptoms and faster recovery is seen.
Prostatectomy: where in the entire prostrate or a part of it is removed.
Do exercises to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles
Reduce intake of fluids at bedtime or before you go out.
Drink less caffeine and alcohol.