Holidays can be a great time to bond with your children and maybe even let your own inner child come out to play. But it can also be a stressful time when kids can misbehave because of boredom. It’s best to put a little bit of advanced planning into the winter holidays and prepare yourself with an list of activities to keep the little ones out of mischief.
Here are a few ideas to keep your kids busy in a fun way –
- Paint -One of the nicest ways to express your creativity is to use paint. Get large sheets of paper and lots of paint. Use different vegetables and fingers to dab and make beautiful paintings.
- Plan outdoor activities – Plan outings on the nearby zoo or lake and let them explore the area. This is also is a great opportunity to let them know about the plants, trees and flowers growing in the area.
- Make your own games – Crafts and DIY are an innovative way to engage kids and it leads to creative satisfaction. Simple lamps, origami, pot decorations and other simple crafts ideas are also a beautiful addition to the home decor.
- Cooking and baking – Decide their favourite recipe and involve them in cooking and baking. Let them read the recipe and make it from the start. They will enjoy their own hard work.
- Build a garden patch Dedicate a small patch in the garden to the kids. Plant flowers, herbs, lettuce — anything that grows quickly and gives them the satisfaction of having produced something.
- Have a treasure hunt Make a treasure map with clues to find some treasure you have hidden somewhere in the house. It doesn’t have to be expensive, any little treat will be exciting when it is found after so much effort.
- Create a holiday Diary. Encourage the little ones to keep a holiday diary or scrapbook. They can take photos of special days and write about them. It will become a lovely memory book for them in the future — and also keep them busy for hours.
- Go swimming Swimming is a great sport and if you have prewarmed swimming pools near you area for winters, it can be a good activity to keep the kids busy. They will enjoy splashing in water.
- Visit the library Take them to the nearby library and let them explore their choice of books. Let them read there or issue for a later read. Even encourage them to write a book review of their favourite books.
- Organize play dates Play dates are a great way to spend some time with their friends, also parents can join to make it a fun activity for their kids and themselves.
- Have a Chill Day With all that activity planned, kids will also need some rest days. Make sure you plan some days where you relax, watch some movies, read some comics, and take it easy.
Dr Prerna Gaur