It is a well-known fact that pregnancy is a state of low immunity. Fevers during pregnancy are not unusual.
It must be remembered that fever is only a symptom. Mild fevers that last only a short time usually are not a concern. If your temperature reaches 100 degrees F, consult your doctor.
It is advisable to keep an idea of the symptoms of few basic diseases causing fever. Reach out to your doctor if you have fever with any of the following signs –
–Urinary Tract Infection(UTI) – in case of symptoms like high urge to urinate, sensation of burning while passing urine, cloudy urine or blood in it, pelvic pain, UTI must be suspected.
– Common Cold – In situations when the infection persists beyond 2 weeks or if symptoms of common cold are getting worse, there is a high likelihood that the cause is much severe .Do not delay in such cases and immediately consult your doctor.
– Influenza – if the fever is accompanied by chills, nausea, coughing, vomiting and body pains, then this might be influenza. Pregnant women are at higher risk of developing flu and can get seriously ill due to their suppressed immune system.
– Gastrointestinal Virus – Besides fever, GI bug can cause vomiting and diarrhoea that may culminate in serious problems for pregnant mothers if not treated in time.
Important Do’s and Don’ts –
– A low fever in early pregnancy does not cause serious problem but having high fever is dangerous for baby. Therefore it is very important to get it in control as soon as possible. Paracetamol is safe to be taken but not for more than 3 to 4 days without consulting the doctor..
– Even if fever subsides on its own or after taking paracetamol/acetaminophen, it’s always best to play it safe and see your doctor anyway
– Drink plenty of water and other cool beverages to prevent dehydration
– Take a tepid bath or shower or use a cool cloth on your head.
– If the fever is accompanied by vomiting or diarrhoea then Vital electrolytes lost through vomiting and diarrhoea, must be replenished.
– Consume balanced and healthy diet which contains fruits and vegetables. This healthy diet will supply you several antioxidant vitamins and minerals which helps in fighting infections
– Get plenty of rest when you have fever. Inactivity helps the body to stay cool and decreases falling and stumbling risk because of dizziness.
– If you are in your first trimester and have a fever higher than 102 degrees, be sure to seek treatment right away. This will help prevent short- and long-term complications for your developing baby