Hair transplantation is a surgical procedure that moves individual hair follicles from the back of the scalp called the ‘donor site’ to a balding part of the scalp known as the ‘recipient site’. It is primarily used to treat male pattern baldness.
Hair transplantation is a hair restoration procedure performed on men and women who have significant hair loss, thinning hair, or balding spots with no hair growth.
In men, hair loss and baldness are most commonly due to genetic factors and hormonal changes. Male pattern baldness is a genetic disease common in men in which the hairline gradually recedes and bald areas appear. Men may also experience a gradual thinning of hair at the crown, or at the top of the skull. In women, hair loss is most commonly due to hormonal changes and is more likely to be a thinning of hair from the top of the head. Hair transplants can also be advised to replace hair loss due to burns, injury, or diseases of the scalp.
It is one of the hair restoration procedures that involves transplantation of your own hair taken out from the back of the scalp. It grows naturally and color of the hair is also the same as the original hair. Hair growth normally starts after 2 to 3 months and recovery takes approximately 8 to 10 months.
Hair transplant technique has advanced significantly. There are different techniques for performing transplant. One method is follicular unit transplant (FUT) in which strip of skin is taken out from the back of the scalp, then follicular unit is divided and replantation is done in required area. Linear scar is seen on the back of the scalp.
Other advanced surgical technique is Follicular unit extraction (FUE).This is a method in which single hair is extracted and replanted in required area. The results are permanent and excellent. Small tiny dots are seen on the back of the scalp in spite of linear scar which is seen in FUT.
- Hair transplants are completely safe and natural.
- No special chemicals or medicines are used in this process that might damage the hair.
- Hair transplant surgery is the most natural amongst other hair growth techniques.
- Transplanted hair works like naturally grown hair so no need to apply any special shampoos or chemicals to maintain its density.
- Person gets back his confidence
- Hair transplant candidates can resume their normal work quickly.
- The candidate who undergoes a transplant should be in good general health.
- It is mostly recommended in male pattern baldness which is a progressive, irreversible disorder. The person should be aware of it.
- It is an invasive procedure performed under local anesthesia.
- The success of a transplant largely depends on the quality of the existing donor area.
- Recovery takes 8 to 10 months approximately.
Hair transplant is an excellent long term option for hair growth who suffer from low confidence due to male pattern baldness.
Discuss with your dermatologist regarding the procedure.
-Dr Prerna Gaur