MUSCLE STRENGTHENING EXERCISES
Basic muscle strength is required for your simple everyday tasks such as sitting or standing posture or walking, running, lifting and throwing. The task you do pre determines the type of strengthening exercises that help you reach your goals.
5 exercises that can help strengthen your muscles quickly are:
- Jumping Jacks: this is a whole body exercise that warms up your body and elevates the mood and activates various groups of muscles in the body. This exercise also helps with motor coordination. To do the exercise stand straight with feet close and hands close to the body. Jump and split your legs so that the right leg is in front and left leg is at back, again do the vice versa. Do 15 to 30 jumps, while taking a rest in between for a minute for each set.
- Arm Extensions: this exercise helps in strengthening the arms and shoulders. Take hold of a dumbbell or water bottle, and then flex your elbow keeping close to the body. Then raise the arms straight up over the head and slowly return back to its original position. Do two or three sets of each 10 to 15 repetitions. Take rest for a minute for every set.
- Forward Lunges: it helps in strengthening muscles in your legs and buttocks. Take a big step forward with one leg and bend your knees so that it’s at a 90° angle with the floor. Bring your other leg down until it’s almost touching the floor. Push yourself back up to the starting position. Alternate legs with each repetition and be careful to keep your torso upright and back straight when doing this exercise. Do two to three sets of 15 to 20 repetitions by taking a minute rest in between each set.
- Pushups: doing this strengthens the pectoralis muscles along with back muscles of the arm. Get into the plank position forming a straight line, slowly raise yourself by pushing the ground away from you. Make sure to breathe out as u push and breathe in as you come back to the original position. Do around two sets of 10 to 15 repetitions by taking a rest for a minute in between each set.
- Planks: this exercise helps in strengthening the abdominal muscles or core muscles. Get into a push-up position, rest your whole body weight on your forearms and toes holding your position above the ground. Hold the position for 30 to 60 seconds. Do two to three sets by resting for a minute in between each set.
Who can do the strengthening exercises?
Men and women of all age group can do these exercises to strengthen the core muscles. It is important to start slow with about 5 repetitions of each type of muscle strengthening exercise and gradually increase the number of repetitions. People above 50 years of age need to consult a doctor before starting the exercises and need supervision while doing these exercises as they put a strain on their bodies.
Benefits of strengthening exercises:
- Improves overall fitness
- Helps in developing lean body mass
- Helps in burning calories
- Improves mental strength
- Helps in developing stronger bones
P.S : It’s always best to consult a fitness expert before doing these exercises so that they can guide you and advise you the best-suited exercises according to your requirements.