Breast pain is experienced by women at some point in their lives. Sometimes, it may interfere with daily activities and cause a lot of fear and anxiety in the person suffering from it. It is therefore important to know some home remedies that can be used as basic management. If the given tips do not provide relief then it must be discussed with the doctor.
Some of the well-known and tested home remedies and tips to deal with breast pain shall be discussed.
Tips to deal with breast pain-
- Wear a supportive bra – it is important to find out the correct size and fitting and also use sports bra when exercising.
- Use less salt – especially just before your periods.
- Apply local heat to the painful area. During pain peaks, alternating hot and cold packs can help.
- Avoiding caffeine has shown a significant reduction in breast pain in women who have it often.
- Intake of fish oil /omega-3 supplements is found to be useful- Natural dietary sources include- dark green leafy vegetables, ocean-raised (“wild”) cold-water fish, flax, walnuts, and sesame. Omega-3 supplements are also available by prescription and over-the-counter.
- Vitamin E has also been helpful in reducing breast pain and therefore a short term course after consultation with your doctor can be helpful.
- Evening primrose oil is now widely advised for helping with breast pain.
- Dietary modifications such as eating a low-fat diet – is really beneficial.
- If you take birth control pills and seem to find aggravation in breast pain or tenderness, it is advisable to talk about it with your doctor and find out suitable alternatives.
- If you are overweight, then losing that excess weight with the help of regular exercise and a healthy diet can really help in the reduction of episodes of breast pain.
- Lower your stress levels through stress management techniques such as yoga, deep breathing exercises, etc has been shown to reduce breast pain.
- Smoking can worsen breast pain, it is high time to quit smoking if you have breast pain.
- Stock in some pain relieving medicines after consulting your doctor if you have very serious breast pain episodes.
- Mild massage can help improve blood circulation and reduce inflammation and pain.
- Estrogen dominance in some women causes breast tenderness and pain. Eat plenty of fiber to help your body flush out extra estrogen. You can get fiber from cabbage, broccoli, sprouts, legumes, and whole grains.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day to get rid of toxins from the body.
- Reduce your intake of hydrogenated oils, found in margarine, packaged baked goods, and snack products.
Other than the above-mentioned tips, it is vital for all women to examine their breasts at least once in 2-3 months and any difference in the size or shape of your breasts is felt then it is important to consult a doctor.
Written by Dr.Afroze Fatima